WIGAN EDGE WOLVES 1-0 IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP

Posted on March 28, 2017 in Uncategorized

Wigan Athletic got a late winner that earned them all three points in the game against Wolverhampton Wanderers in the Championship.


Jake Buxton scored in the 88th minute to shock the hosts, giving Wigan a vital away win they were not expecting.

The loss was devastating for Wolves as they hoped to end their poor run. They have now lost three straight games in the Championship. They place 18th on the current standings.

Ahead of the clash, the stats were against them but they could have managed to keep it in their favour. According to records, Wolves have won just one of five games against Wigan at Molineux. They enjoyed more possession but could not convert their chances in front of goal.

Paul Lambert side could only threaten their visitors as they lacked that final finish that could have made all the difference. Bright Enobakhare made an attempt but it did not convert. They were punished late in the game from a set piece.

“I’m like everyone else, disappointed and angry with the way that we performed. We never did enough, that’s for sure; it wasn’t good enough. We were too passive, we never dominated the ball and were not aggressive enough with or without the ball,” Lambert said after the loss. (more…)

WIGAN TO MEET NORWICH IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP

Posted on March 23, 2017 in Uncategorized

Wigan Athletic are set to face off with Norwich City in the English championship on Tuesday, February 7, 2017.


Wigan are battling possible relegation at the end of the season as they currently place 23rd on the log unlike Norwich who are trying to get a Championship playoff spot.

While a number of players are going to miss the game due to various injuries, several other options are available for selection. Alex Gilbey is yet to recover from ankle injury, Reece James is also out die to ankle problem. Nick Powell and Donervon Daniels have hamstring and knee issues respectively so they are also ruled out.

Deadline transfer signings Mikael Mandron, Jack Byrne, Josh Laurent, Alex Bruce and Matt Gilks are expected to make their debut. Gabriel Obertan might also get called unto action. (more…)

[Top]

WIGAN END DISAPPOINTING RUN

Posted on January 28, 2017

The FA cup clash between Wigan and Nottingham Forest was a classic that had looked unlikely, having both sides in despondent forms.


Nottingham has now gone seven games in all competitions with no win. Forest only saw a little ball and a few chances to goal, but they unfortunately could not convert any of this chance to a goal.

Wigan – currently in the relegation zone in 23rd place – have equally had a disappointing run the past few weeks, but this time around they became superior to a Forest, who sit three place above them in the division.

The Latics had lost Nick Powell from an early injury, but recovered quickly enough. Although, they it would have been better if they Micheal Jacobs and Jordi Gomez had done better with the few chances they had.

Just before the end of the first half, Will Grigg poked in Stephen Warnocks cross, and put the Wigan on the lead. After the break, Yanic Wildshut shot in a low finish as Warnock provided a cut through to him.

Forest had lost a penalty that given after Lica had been fouled in the area. Eric Lichaj’s late penalty was saved by Jakob Hugaard.

Wigan’s boss, Warren Joyce was happy with the performance of his team as he thought his side deserved the win. He had this to say: “I would have been very disappointed had we let them back in – and it was sloppy play that resulted in the penalty.”

Philippe Montainer, Nottingham’s Manager expressed his dissatisfaction with his team’s style of play. He said:

“It was a poor game. We were bad in every area both with and without the ball, and we cannot keep accepting this situation.

“We are on a terrible run and confidence is really low but that should not be an excuse. We need to show more when we’ve got the ball and do more when we haven’t.”

[Top]

Former Manchester United members are joining Wigan Athletic

Posted on December 12, 2016

From 2008 until 2016 Warren Joyce used to coach the Under-21 and Under-23 squads of Manchester United but his time in Old Trafford reached it’s end a few days ago as the 51 year old tactician recently decided to take charge of the English Championship League club Wigan Athletic as he penned a 3 and a half year long contract.


‘’I have got a fantastic amount of friends there and I leave with a lot of fond memories of the place but I’m not getting any younger and if you want to fulfil certain dreams in your life, I think this was a great opportunity. I have had numerous opportunities in the past to do things but I have turned them all down for various reasons but I feel at this time it is an offer too good to miss out on.”

This was the statement that Warren Joyce said after having joined Wigan Athletic as the new coach but rumors are now pointing at other members of Manchester United thinking or being at the verge of joining the backroom staff of Wigan Athletic, one of the more renowned players that has been linked with the Championship League club is Paul Scholes.

Paul Scholes is currently being linked with 2 different clubs as he has emerged as a candidate to take over the Under 23’s side of Manchester United but at the same time Scholes is also rumored to be on the verge of accepting this same job but with Wigan Athletic instead of Manchester United.

Scholes is one of the most praised midfielders in the world of football with a very impressive playing career which has seen him winning major trophies including the Premier League on 11 ocassions and the UEFA Champions twice, these are just a few of the more renowned titles that Scholes has secured.

Despite having a very successful playing career, Paul Scholes doesn’t actually have a UEFA Pro License as the Englishman doesn’t really have any coaching career and this might be the start of his coaching life.

[Top]

WIGAN ATHLETIC DEFEAT WOLVES 2-1

Posted on November 6, 2016

Wigan Athletic defeated Wolverhampton 2-1in the English Championship.

The victory ensures Wigan moves from the bottom of the table as a late Will Grigg’s goal gave them full points.

Wigan started the game on a good note. Former Wolves striker Adam le Fondre scored the game’s first in the 5th minute. Max Power sent a close range cross which he converted. The visitors equalized in the 34th minute through Prince Oniangue. Oniangue sent a low finish from 18 yards, but the visitors couldn’t get a share of the point. Grigg’s goal ensured the host won the match 2-1.

Wigan’s last win was on August 13th. The victory over Wolves is the first in nine league matches, and it raises the team to the 21st position in the standings. On the other hand, Wolves went into the game with back-to-back wins against Newcastle and Brentford. At the DW stadium, their attack left much to be desired.

For Le Fondre, the night would not be forgotten in a hurry as he became the third ex-Wolves player to score against his former club in the Championship this season. He got the goal from six yards out. Wolves could have buried the game after their equalizer after Congo captain Oniangue scored.

After the recess, Danny Batth almost got a winner but his effort was stopped in time. The Lactics would savour their second victory this campaign. Wigan enjoyed more ball possession, but couldn’t get more shots into the box.

Wolves had ten shots, but only four were on target.

In other games played in the Championship, Burton played a 1-1 draw with QPR, and the Barnsley-Aston Villa affair ended the same way. Brentford thrashed Reading 4-0, while Sheff Wed defeated Blackburn 1-0. Birmingham and Preston played a 2-2 draw, but Bristol defeated Leeds 1-0. Huddersfield tops the standing with 22 points.

[Top]

Injuries and defeats, it’s been a nightmare for Gary Caldwell

Posted on October 16, 2016

The early stages of the 2016-17 season of the English League Championship of Wigan Athletic has been a forgettable one as they have lost 5 matches, drawn 1 and only won 1 game out of their initial 7 games of the season.

These consistent defeats has left Wigan Athletic on the bottom spots of the English League Championship as they are located at the 23rd spot after only being able to collect 4 points from the possible 21.

Gary Caldwell is the head coach of Wigan Athletic and the 34 year old Scottish manager tried to pump his squad up with a positive vibe as he said: “We’ll be going to Norwich to win. We always set up that way, regardless of what kind of run we’re on. As a player you have to adopt a mentality of putting defeats to the back of your mind and try to perform and win the game. It will be a tough challenge, but I believe this group of players can go there and perform.”

That is the statement which was released by Caldwell before his squad had faced off with Norwich City and ultimately lost 1-2 on September 13.

Not only is Wigan Athletic suffering consistent defeats but the team of Gary Caldwell has also seen one of their more influential players as the summer signing Nick Powell was unable to play against Norwich City due to a groin problem that the 22 year old midfielder has recently been suffering from.

It still remains uncertain as to how long Nick Powell will be on the sidelines but having such a key player out of action for a club that has been struggling so much to snatch a convincing victory is a huge blow for Wigan Athletic and this could lead to even more defeats which is not what the recently promoted club wanted to go through.

[Top]

WIGAN ATHLETIC BACK OUT OF PATERSON DEAL

Posted on September 7, 2016

Wigan Athletic have backed out from signing Hearts right back Callum Paterson.

The Sky Bet Championship club were attracted to the 21-year old rising star, joining other clubs keen on adding the player to their squad this summer. Championship side Newcastle were one of the top sides linked to Paterson all summer but they didn’t get him.

Scottish News outlet Daily Record reports that Wigan will not make an improved bid this summer to sign Paterson. Wigan had submitted a bid of £600,000 for the London-born defender but the Scottish club rejected the offer. The Lactics were supposed to improve on the offer but reports say they have opted out from the deal, meaning Paterson would likely remain with Hearts as the transfer window rushes for a close.

Former Celtic and Hibs defender Gary Caldwell who is the current manager of Wigan really wanted to lure Paterson back to the south of the border. Hearts would have been preparing for another approach but Wigan would have to let go. Record Sport say the major reason for the pull out is because Wigan know the capital club is holding out to get the most from the deal, and the Championship side were not prepared to drop as much as the fee could run into a million. Wigan are aware the deal with Paterson has entered its last year, with talks for a new deal stalled. Also, Robbie Neilson revealed that Paterson was an integral member of his squad, so he would not be sold cheap or for the sake of it.

Paterson has 145 games in all competitions for the Jambos in his belt. The Scottish side is looking at making a real chase at the title this season. Former Hearts forward Scott Crabbe opines that the new look of the team is enough to threaten any side in the Scottish Premier ship.

[Top]

Wigan Athletic might make a bid for former player Jordi Gomez

Posted on August 14, 2016

There is news that Wigan Athletic might consider making a move for their former player Jordi Gomez.

The latter currently plays for Sunderland and may consider leaving the Premier League side during the summer. Indeed, he has been informed by the manager Sam Allardyce that he does not form part of his plan for next season and that he will be better off looking for another club.

Jordi Gomez was a favorite player among the Wigan’s fans, and he will certainly bring some additional quality to a midfield that appeared quite dull in some games. Gomez was supposed to join Wigan Athletic last January, but instead, he chose to play the remaining part of the season with Blackburn Rovers.

With Wigan Athletic having won the promotion to the Championship, the board will be keen to strengthen the team so as to be able to compete. It is believed that the Wigan coach will be given a substantial amount of money in order to bring players that will be able to bring the club upwards. Signing a player such as Jordi Gomez will definitely help to strengthen the team not only in terms of ability but also in terms of experience.

It is also believed that Wigan Athletic might also make a bid for Barnsley player ConorHourihane. The 25-year old player was instrumental in Barnsley’s successful season, and it is reported that there are many clubs that are interested in the player. Wigan is reported to have made inquiries about the player as they attempt to build a side that can mount a serious promotion push.

With a midfield consisting of Jordi Gomez and ConorHourihane, Gary Caldwell will have one of the best midfield of the Championship, and this may help them compete for a play-off place.

[Top]

Wigan Athletic are only looking to add to their squad

Posted on July 16, 2016

Wigan Athletic are only looking to add to their squad and not sell any players in the summer transfer window, according to manager Gary Caldwell.

After having achieved promotion with the former FA Cup winners,Caldwell is keen towards maintaining the club’s position in the Championship. It presents a lot of difficulties sinceCaldwell is aware that the English second division is one of the toughest in the world to survive. Teams that are expected to achieve promotion at the start of the campaign could get relegated and vice versa.Caldwell wants to be well prepared and he has confirmed that there is money available to spend.

However,Caldwell is not planning to spend a significant chunk of his transfer money on players just for the sake of buying. Instead, he has a list of well researched targets who will be purchased only if they meet the requirements of the club. Furthermore, Wigan are not planning to sell any of the squad who have contributed immensely to the club’s promotion. So far, Wigan have been able to add only one player – Stephen Warnock – to the squad. The left back, though, brings valuable experience to the team after having represented numerous clubs over the last decade.

Caldwell enjoyed success in the transfer market last summer and he will be hoping to repeat the same.“I think there’s always money to spend, on the right player. And we’ve tried to identify young players, who we feel we can improve and add value to.But we also have to be sensible, and look for value in players who are free and also available for loan.We’re working hard on all those fronts to be able to attract the quality that will help the already-strong group we have here,” said the Wigan Athletic manager.

[Top]

Wigan Athletic rejoiced at their return to the Championship

Posted on June 23, 2016

Wigan Athletic rejoiced at their return to the Championship, but manager Gary Caldwell says that the club need to strengthen in almost every area of the pitch.

He says that failure to do so may result in a swift return to the League One. Only a few years ago, Wigan were winners of the FA Cup. However, relegation from the top division that campaign resulted in a slide, which has been arrested only now. Caldwell has been the manager to get Wigan back to the English second division. Even though this remains a huge achievement, the 34-year-old says that the real work only begins now.

There is even a possibility that the club may consider challenging for a swift return to the Premier league from this position. Due to the excellent facilities, it may not be long before Wigan attract top quality players to the DW stadium. Caldwellclaims that he is working extremely hard in order to secure players before their rivals take advantage of the availability. Wigan have the advantage of being aware of the league status much sooner than clubs from the play-offs. Wigan were promoted automatically after finishing two points ahead of Burton Albion.

Caldwell has also been named as the League One manager of the year.“I think we’ll need to strengthen everywhere next year.And we’ve spoken to the players and told them they’ll need to get better.I’ve told them they’re all Championship players now, they’ve earned that right.But with that comes responsibility, and a standard they have to live up to.Over the summer they’ll have to be ready to come back and improve even more. I’ll get a week away with the kids, but even then I’ll still be on the phone, doing certain things,” said Caldwell about the plans for the summer.

[Top]
  • Like Us On Facebook

  • Tweets